Friday 10 October 2014

Round the Bend in Twelve Squares - part 1

As the title suggests, this project has 12 squares and a lot of bends to go around - in more ways than one!
This is another version of 'Learning Curves in 9 Squares'. All the quilting is done on white fabric but each square is framed by a border in the same colour as the thread.
So first task was to dye the border fabric and buy matching thread.


Intentions and outcomes don't always match up. The beautiful gradation from fuchsia, through purples to turquoise and slate blue ended up a clean break between pink/purple and blues. Of course, I could have started again, made a better job of the dyeing, re-ordered more matching thread ... but that would have required patience and perseverance - qualities that I believe I possess but obviously not in sufficient quantity in this instance!


My solution was to mix the colours up and let it be assumed that this was always the intention. You do assume that, don't you?!!

Hilary Florence Quilting Workshop, Round the Bend in 12 Squares, art quilt, free motion quilting and hand-dyed fabric.

Each 12" square uses one motif - here Sticks and Stones. I deliberately made some of the 'bends' very narrow which results in a beautiful play of density and gives the impression of light and dark shades of colour...

Hilary Florence Quilting Workshop - Going round the bend in 12 squares detail. art quilt, free motion quilting, hand dyed fabric

although I have to say when I am trying to quilt that small there is a voice in my head saying 'you can not be serious!' I've put a pin in to give you an idea of size. I can see in this enlarged version that I have made a good mistake in the middle - but at original size in the whole piece I defy anyone to notice!!

Hilary Florence Quilting Workshop - Going round the bend in 12 squares detail. art quilt, free motion quilting, hand dyed fabric

The next square has the motif  'Fly Away Home',  named by Norma Schlager after the nursery rhyme Ladybird/Ladybug (depending which side of the Atlantic you are on).

Hilary Florence Quilting Workshop - Going round the bend in 12 squares detail. art quilt, free motion quilting, hand dyed fabric

Again, things got pretty tense - I mean dense here. Some of those circles are about the size of a pin head.

Hilary Florence Quilting Workshop - Going round the bend in 12 squares detail. art quilt, free motion quilting, hand dyed fabric

At some points the motif tapers down to a point. Obviously here I can't see what I'm doing - but then neither can you!! I just try to move the fabric in the idea of the pattern and even though I am almost stitching on the spot, there is a point where the sense of the pattern seems to emerge from the tangle.

Next 2 or 3 squares should be ready to post next week. Hope to see you then and thanks for stopping by..


Hilary Florence


Please find below a list of linky parties. I may not link with all of the every week, but with some of them most weeks. Please go and have a look at some of the other wonderful quilts and quilters there.

Linky Tuesday at Free motion by  the river­­­­ @ http://www.conniekresin.com/
WIP Wednesday at freshly pieced   @   http://www.freshlypieced.com/
WIP Wednesday at TN + TN  @  http://needleandthreadnetwork.blogspot.ca/
I Quilt Thursdays @ http://prettybobbins.com/
Off the wall Fridays @ http://ninamariesayre.blogspot.co.uk/

12 comments:

  1. Good morning Hilary,

    Thank you for linking up with Free Motion Mavericks!

    I thought I was getting into a bit of a squeeze working about seven lines of stitching into a three quarters of an inch tall church spire, but meanwhile you have been working on pinhead scale. We are as bad as each other.

    Love, Muv

    ReplyDelete
  2. You never fail to amaze me, but knowing you I think you are having fun with this. Your colors are great, but I know what you mean about surprises when hand dyeing. I just dyed 21 yards of fabric, looking for perfect gradations and didn't get what I wanted. I'm looking forward to seeing yours finished and I'm sure it will be spectacular!

    ReplyDelete
  3. dyed fabric looks great and your stitching is amazing seeing the pin shows how tiny it all is

    ReplyDelete
  4. mistakes or not, your quilting is beautiful, creative and a great source of inspiration. thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the colors of your dyed fabric. The quilting is very creative and beautiful. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your quilting is awe-inspiring! Seriously, a mistake? No Can See! I just want to be ok at FMQ, not even going to talk about fabric dying.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my gosh what beautiful FMQ! Your dying is great also!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Hilary I love your quilting, I love your ideas and how your vary the large and small, it gives me inspiration to push myself and try
    different things, great work!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! So inspiring! You even dye your material to match your threads! This is the first time that I have visited but I will be sure to visit again. Do you machine quilt on your domestic?

    ReplyDelete