Thursday 21 August 2014

Chorus Line - Free Motion Cameo 39

Step into your dances shoes for Chorus Line - FMQ Cameo 39.

Chorus Line - Free Motion Cameo 39

I'm quite fond of these cheeky chaps and chapesses although they are probably a bit too rotund to make good dances. I don' think they would pass a 'Lord of the Dance' audition! They are quite labor intensive. I do them in 4 steps - the leg arches first, the body and head in a figure of 8 second, then the arms for the final 2.

Many thanks to all of you who left such wonderful comments on Cosmic Split. I did suggest to a few of you that you get yourselves hired a quilt judges at the Festival of Quilts forthwith!
I promised I would let you know how the quilt got on.

Cosmic Split
Well, judge A loved it and gave it an 'Excellent' for every applicable category. Judge B wasn't so impressed and interestingly enough, marked down everything I thought was good about the quilt. She gave it a few 'goods' for colour and material choice, but only a satisfactory for the 'treatment of edges' (that I was so proud of!), satisfactory for the quilt overall as an art quilt and a 'needs attention' for the 'design and execution of quilting' with a note to avoid the 'puckering' in the background. That did worry me a bit. There is no point in me going to all that extra effort to add textural interest in the form of ruching (which is much trickier to quilt) if it just looks as if I can't lay down a flat piece of fabric! I liked the effect, but maybe I am going to have to rethink that one.

Anyway, 30 thousand people got to see the quilt which is quite a thought.

8 comments:

  1. Judge 2 must have been having a really bad day. I still think it's fabulous and that it deserved a win.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hilary, judging is so subjective. I'm always amazed by the comments I get. It is a beautiful piece and I'm glad so many people had the opportunity to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I forgot to say that the chorus line quilting pattern is wonderful! It made me smile!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is good you had a Judge A to balance out Judge B! I agree with judge A.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hilary, my own personal appreciation of this quilt is "excellent". Judge A loves this kind of art. Judge B doesn't. I think that the more important judging of this piece is the one you give it. I personally think that the process of creating is more important than the result or what people think of it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the "pluckering" and the layers of texture. Laying the quilted fabric on a flat fabric would have been like sitting on an old wooden stool while wearing a wedding gown. How awful!
    I know how hard and painful for the hands reaching such a nice edge was (and maybe hard on the nerves too to keep the golden top so flat).

    ReplyDelete
  7. The texture you've created is a huge part of what I love about this piece. Judging is so subjective and judge 2, just didn't get what you were trying to do. Usually a show will ask for an artist's statement. I'm not sure if this one did. I would suggest using the Artist Statement to convey what you are doing, such as the ruching of the fabric to create texture. Your work is unique and because of that you might have to work a little harder to educate the people, judging you. I hope this one judge, doesn't make you question your work, too much. Keep true to yourself and the path you're on.

    ReplyDelete
  8. PS: I got lost in my comments about the quilt judge. Chorus line is really sweet. I see birds, looking down, as they sit on a line.

    ReplyDelete